How to Get a Uniform ID Number In Taiwan

27 July 2012

If, like me, you have travelled to Taiwan for a longer-term stay but for some reason or another do not have an ARC, to do pretty much anything important, you'll want to get a Uniform ID Number. My uncle who lives here set me up with the details, but essentially the easiest way to do this is in person at one of the National Immigration Agency's (NIA) Service Centres. I went to the one in Zhongzheng District, Taipei, but there's a whole bunch around the country.

The procedure is listed on their website, but basically you go to the centre with your Passport, a photocopy which includes your passport and possibly some other form of photo id) and fill in a form. (I used my New Zealand drivers license, and it may or may not be needed to get an ID number but I can tell you with certainty that it's required for setting up a phone account). Once you've filled out the form, it's a few minutes wait and you'll be given a sheet of paper with a number on it. AWESOME.

Now with this number, you can:

  • Open a bank account
  • Open a phone account

Easy, right? :)

Tags: Taiwan, living

Add a Comment


  • Jordan said Reply

    Thanks for the information, I was searching for the procedures because I'm thinking of getting the ID myself. I read through the procedures online and one of the required documents was "A authorisation statement for this application validated by an overseas ROC office". Do you know anything about that?

    • Henry said Reply

      Hey Jordan, I didn't have anything of the sort, but that was two years ago - this might be a new requirement since then - but to be honest it's probably best to just turn up at one of the NIA centres and try and fill out the form. It doesn't take very long and if you need something from an overseas ROC office they would very quickly let you know in person.

  • Andre said Reply

    Thank for the post! But do you need a taiwan address to get the Uniform ID numbeR? I wanted to open a bank account in taiwan but not living in taiwan. You think its possible?

    • Henry said Reply

      Hi Andre - while from memory I don't remember if you need an address to get a Uniform ID number (I think you do) - you almost certainly need it for the bank account.

      You will not be able to open a bank account without an address in Taiwan; I was banking with E-Sun (玉山) but I don't imagine any bank letting you set one up without.

      Why are you looking to set up a bank account without a Taiwan address?